Tuesday 7 May 2024

Term 1: Inquiry focus for 2024

This year my Inquiry focus curriculum area is Maths. I am currently teaching a class of 20 children in Year 2 and 6 of these are Year 3s with lower cognitive ability. My goal is to specifically to observe a group of children who need to learn how to solve maths problems such as adddition and subtraction basic facts, counting on, identifying numbers to 100 and counting forwards and backwards in sequence. They will be given a range of teaching resources to help them such as counters, number lines, coloured teddybears and hundreds boards to help them as a visual aide. I have formed this draft inquiry question: How can a strong number knowledge and number sense focus in basic facts support these children to achieve progress in Maths over the course of this year? I have chosen a small group of 5 children to work with, so I can teach them new strategeties to use and they may learn how to be more independent in finding answers. These children are encouraged to practice basic facts equations usinf the Xtramaths site and in addition the Maths seeds follow up acitivities on their iPads. They will be using a range of printed worksheets and follow up EEs (Explain Everything) activities on their iPads to consolidate their learning of maths strategies. My aim is that these children will be learning 2 x tables once they have mastered skip counting in 2s in the correct sequence. At the beginning of Term 2 I will be doing an individual JAM test on each child in my classroom to guage their knowldege and understanding this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment