Sunday 1 March 2020

Empathy session/ role play

My MIT Moonshot buddy Kerianna and I got together to discuss what our current challenges are with our students in the classroom setting. We then role played each idea to the whole group. #1: So I started and began introducing "The Magic Blanket" game with Kerianna who was one of my Priority Learners (in amongst 19 other Year 2s) who was easily distracted, not focused and kept interrupting the game. I kept going, trying to involve her whilst using verbal praise and encouragement along the way. #2: She then began speaking fluently in Te Reo Maori and I pretended to be the disengaged student who was unwilling to participate in Te Reo korero g(speaking). My attitude was getting in the way of my learning, making it more challenging for Kerianna to carry out her Whaea role effectively. This gave our teaching colleagues an opportunity to observe the challenges we face in trying to overcome disengagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment