Monday 20 April 2020

MIT research connections

So I had the privilege to meet with Jimmy McLauchlan via a Zoom call last week and wanted to share our meaningful korero around the value of the ENGAGE program that he has been involved with over the past 5 years of research. Since implementing the ENGAGE program over a 7 week period, prior to lockdown I have found that the children's engagement, interest and participation has definitely increased. I explained to Jimmy that I regularly use relaxation breathing techniques with my students as it helps them to calm down and refocus before structured learning takes place throughout the day. I try to use at least one game on a busy day and up to 30 mins of games in total which is the recommendation in order for this program to be effective. I often find that the students need to have a game to participate in during "transition times" throughout the day as well as when they get hungry before scheduled meal breaks such as morning tea and lunchtime. We discussed how much teachers are finding the games useful and how their students are responding to them throughout the day as they do require some preparation. I also shared my Google survey that I have created and am looking forward to reviewing the results. I can relate to the purpose of combining a child's holistic well-being with learning self-regulations skills in order to interact with their peers and manage themselves independently in a school environment. I shared some ideas around future games which could include Te Reo Maori and Pasifika games, language with a focus on cultural observances that the children are experienced with in their home environment and then make translations on new cards so teachers can use them in the classroom. I'm looking forward to this new direction and hope to use them when we can return to school life again. Depending on whether New Zealand comes out of Level 4 lockdown in response to COVID - 19? Kia kaha, stay safe in your Bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment